Job Posting End Date: 07/13
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:Provides intermediate to complex administrative and legal support to attorneys and professionals.
This position primary supports the Regulatory Affairs team and is a member of the Legal Operations team supporting the law department. The successful candidate is a self-starter, is proficient with 0365 and technology, applies quick learning, critical thinking and speed to execution. Executive administrative experience as well as a background supporting regulatory, compliance and/or legal related experience is preferred.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Assembles, prepares and analyzes legal documents and confidential information.
- Prepares reports, manuals, agendas and correspondence using spreadsheet, database and word processing software.
- Manages and maintains a high volume of administrative activities such as assisting with travel arrangements, preparing expense reports, maintaining calendars and daily schedules and planning, coordinating meetings and conferences.
- Screens and follows up on incoming calls and correspondence and responding if appropriate.
- Takes and transcribes dictation requiring knowledge of legal terms.
- Sorts, opens, logs, and distributes incoming mail.
- Follow up on replies and may compose responses for the attorney/staff to include responding to requests for information relative to the attorney's/staff's area of assigned responsibility.
- Reviews and prepares invoices for submission of payment.
- Prepares, organizes and maintains correspondence, administrative and legal files.
- Operates standard office equipment such as printers, scanners, facsimiles etc.
- Makes recommendations for improving efficiency and economy of existing operations.
- Lead and/or assist with special projects and assists others with workload when necessary.
- Handle special assignments such as information data searches, research, compiling, monitoring, basic accounting and reporting on results of project activity.
- May track activities related to area of concentration and create, distribute and/or file appropriate reports.
- May perform research activities including insurance regulations, federal and state statutes, insurance industry services and publications, confirm filing fees and procedures and identify governmental entities.
- May communicate with outside counsel, other parties and vendors by telephone.
- May prepare and send legal documents to outside counsel.
- May attend meetings acting as a recorder and coordinate follow-up actions.
- May train others on specific duties and responsibilities in area(s) of expertise.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree or other preferred and minimum of four (4) years demonstrated legal, industry and/or executive administrative related experience.
- Strong computer skills with a high degree of proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, SharePoint and PowerPoint) and Microsoft Outlook including calendaring and email.
- Strong math skills, including basic accounting knowledge.
- High degree of confidentiality.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and judgment.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong adaptability to changes in the work environment.
- Strong dependability.
- Ability to work independently or with a team.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Thorough knowledge of Company policies and procedures preferred.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.