Job Posting End Date: 11/22
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:The Underwriter Trainee will be learning the process to evaluate, select and retain profitable business within assigned authority limits and under the guidance of a manager and mentor. This also requires developing the skills to partner with Company sales teams, brokers and all internal partners.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- With the support of the manager and mentor, consult with sales and service partners to provide the products and plan options that best meet the needs of our customers.
- Learn to evaluate and select risk to ensure the profitable acquisition of new cases and the continued profitable retention of in force cases by developing and understanding of:
- Company products
- the underwriting process inclusive of rate development
- the sales process and market place
- Bachelors degree or equivalent, relevant business experience
- Creative problem solving skills
- Solid critical thinking/analytical reasoning skills
- Solid communication skills, both verbal and written
- Solid organizational skills and ability to handle multiple priorities
- Demonstrated ability to be persuasive and to negotiate
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Exhibit a commitment to quality and personal ownership of results
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.